Date: Thursday March 5th / Venue: Drama Theater, Katara/ Time: 7.30 pm
Concert and presentation exploring musical highlights in the French capital from 1830 to the 1950s
With Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra and Qatar Music Academy faculty musicians,
Presented in French by the Francophone Qatari Women Association
As part of the Qatar-France year of culture and the celebration of the Francophonie month, the French Institute in Qatar and its partners, Qatar Music Academy and the Francophone Qatari Women Association present “A Musical Evening in Paris”.
Come and discover the best musical moments which placed Paris at the center of the world’s cultural stage from the 19th century to the fifties.
Musicians from the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra and Qatar Music Academy Faculty members will recreate the inspiring atmosphere of the era, from Pauline Viardot’s musical gatherings with famous composers like Chopin or Fauré to the beginnings of jazz music with “An American in Paris”.
Members of the Francophone Qatari Women Association will introduce each piece in French.
Free and open to all. Online booking recommended on Katara’s website : www.katara.net. (available soon)
The first ‘glimpse – A soirée at Pauline Viardot’s
- Chopin (1810-1839) – Polonaise in A flat Op. 53 ‘Heroic’
- Fauré (1845-1924) – Après un rêve, 7/I
- Duparc (1848-1933) – Chanson triste
- Bizet (1838-1875) – Ouvre ton coeur
- Dukas (1865 – 1935) – Villanelle
- Enescu (1881–1955) – Balada
- Chabrier (1841-1894) – España
The second glimpse – A meeting of the Société des Apaches at Paul Sordes’ and beyond
- Ravel (1875-1937) – Feria
- Debussy (1862-1918) – En bateau, La terrasse des audiences au clair de lune, Feux d’artifice
- Gershwin (1898-1937)/Heifitz – An American in Paris
- Dutilleux (1916-2013) – Sonatine